If EML files will not open in Outlook Express, try the following:
- Open My Computer.
- Select Folder Options from the Tools menu.
- Click the File Types tab.
- Under Registered file types, select EML Outlook Express Mail Message, then click Advanced.
- Click Open, then click Edit.
- Type the following line in the "Application used to perform action" box:
"C:Program FilesOutlook ExpressMSIMN.EXE" /eml:%1
- Click OK twice, then close the window.
EML files may also be opened in Internet Explorer since they are formatted the same as .MHT files. Changing the file extension from ".eml" to ".mht" should cause the file to open directly in Internet Explorer. EML files may also be opened within Internet Explorer using the Microsoft Exchange Server Outlook WebAccess client.
NOTE: Since EML files are partially saved in plain text format they can be opened by a text editor, such as Microsoft Notepad and Apple TextEdit.