An EML file is an email message saved by an email program, such as Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail. It contains the content of the message, along with the subject, sender, recipient(s), and date of the message. EML files may also store one or more email attachments, which are files sent with the message.
EML file open in Microsoft Mail
You can import EML files in a variety of email programs, such as Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail, and Mozilla Thunderbird. You can also open EML files in Internet Explorer since they are formatted the same as .MHT files. You can change the .eml file extension to .mht and open it directly in Internet Explorer. EML files may also be opened within Internet Explorer using the Microsoft Exchange Server Outlook WebAccess client.
Since EML files are partially saved in plain text format you can open them using a text editor, such as Microsoft Notepad and Apple TextEdit. However, you may need to change the .eml file extension to .txt.
If you try to open an EML file in Outlook Express and are unable to, try the following:
- Open My Computer.
- Select Folder Options from the Tools menu.
- Click the File Types tab.
- Under Registered file types, select EML Outlook Express Mail Message, then click Advanced.
- Click Open, then click Edit.
- Type the following line in the "Application used to perform action" box:
"C:Program Files/Outlook Express/MSIMN.EXE" /eml:%1
- Click OK twice, then close the window.