|Version||13(as of 11/30/2022)|
- Runs Windows, Linux, and other operating systems in macOS
- Supports up to 16 vCPUs and 64GB of memory on a single virtual machine
- Includes DirectX 11 and eGPU support
- Allows you to take VM snapshots and revert to saved states
- Creates encrypted VMs
- Provides support for Windows 10 and 11 hosts
VMware Fusion is virtualization software that enables Mac users to run Windows, Linux, and other operating systems (OSes) in macOS, by creating virtual machines (VMs). Fusion is available in two versions, Player and Pro. Player is designed for personal use, while Pro includes advanced, business-oriented features, such as the ability to customize virtual networks, connect to the vSphere/ESXi Server, and create linked and full clones.
Fusion can create and run VMs in three modes:
- Full Screen: Transforms your Mac's entire screen into the desktop of the virtualized OS, such as Windows 11 or Ubuntu Linux.
- Single Window: Shows the virtualized OS desktop as an application window on your macOS desktop.
- Unity: Integrates the virtualized OS applications with your macOS desktop and dock.
Fusion includes a 64-bit engine and multicore processing power, allowing you to switch seamlessly between the virtualized OS apps and macOS apps. For example, you can play a .WMV video file with Windows Media Player in a virtualized Windows OS, then convert a .HEIC image file with Apple Preview on your Mac.
Additionally, each Fusion VM can include 16 virtual CPUs (vCPUS), an up-to-8TB virtual disk, and 64GB of memory, providing enough processing power and storage to run even the most intensive Windows and Linux applications. The program also includes the ability to take a snapshot of your VMs, so you can revert to a previous state at any time.
Fusion is a high-end virtualization program that allows you to run Windows, Linux, and macOS applications side-by-side without sacrificing performance. VMware Fusion is an excellent choice for running Windows in macOS, as well as hundreds of other operating systems.
Primary File TypeVMware Fusion Virtual Machine
Supported File Types
|.VMWAREVM||VMware Fusion Virtual Machine|
|.SCOREBOARD||VMware Virtual Machine Stats File|
|.VHD||Virtual PC Virtual Hard Disk|
|.VMDK||Virtual Machine Disk File|
|.VMDK-CONVERTTMP||VMWare Fusion Temporary File|
|.VMEM||VMware Virtual Machine Memory File|
|.VMSD||VMware Snapshot Metadata File|
|.VMSN||VMware Snapshot State File|
|.VMSS||VMware Suspended State File|
|.VMTM||VMware Team Data File|
|.VMX||VMware Virtual Machine Configuration File|
|.VMXF||VMware Team Member File|
|.VPC7||Virtual Machine Package|
Additional Related File Types
|.EXE||Windows Executable File|
|.FLP||Floppy Disk Image|
|.ISO||Disc Image File|
|.OVA||Open Virtual Appliance|
|.OVF||Open Virtualization File|
|.PVM||Parallels Virtual Machine|
|.VPC6||Virtual Machine Package|