(as of 10/13/2017)
(visit publisher's website)
- Runs Windows applications in three different views in OS X
- Supports up to 16 vCPUs and 64GB of memory on a single virtual machine
- Allows easy upgrade to Windows 10 and OS X El Capitan
- Updated graphics engine and support for iMac Retina 5K displays
- Enables creation of snapshots to revert back to a saved state at any time
VMware Fusion is an application that allows you to run multiple operating systems on your Mac. VMware also develops Fusion Pro, which is similar to Fusion but is geared more towards business users.
Fusion is commonly used to run Windows in OS X. You can run Windows in three different views:
- Full Screen view - uses the full screen to display the Windows environment.
- Single Window view - keeps your Windows applications in a separate window that contains the Windows environment.
- Unity view - Fully integrates your Windows applications with your OS X environment, so you don’t need to interact with the Windows desktop.
The application includes a 64-bit engine and provides multicore processing power that allow you to seamlessly and quickly run your Windows and OS X applications. Fusion supports up to 16 virtual CPUs (vCPUs), 8TB virtual disks, and 64GB of memory for each virtual machine. This enables you to effectively run high-powered applications such as AutoCAD or Maya. The program also offers snapshot capability, which allows you to revert your virtual machine to a previous state at any time.
VMware Fusion is a high-end virtualization program that enables you to run Windows and OS X applications side-by-side without sacrificing performance. It is a great choice for running Windows programs in OS X.
Supported File Types
Primary file extension
Other file extensions used by VMware Fusion 10
|Supported File Types|
|.VMDK||Virtual Machine Disk File|
|.VMDK-CONVERTTMP||VMWare Fusion Temporary File|
|.VMSN||VMware Snapshot State File|
|.VMTM||VMware Team Data File|
|.VMWAREVM||VMware Fusion Virtual Machine|
|.VMX||VMware Configuration File|
|.VMXF||VMware Team Member File|
|.VPC6||Virtual Machine Package|
|.VPC7||Virtual Machine Package|
|Additional Related File Formats|
|.EXE||Windows Executable File|
|.FLP||Floppy Disk Image|
|.ISO||Disc Image File|
|.OVA||Open Virtual Appliance|
|.OVF||Open Virtualization File|
|.PVM||Parallels Virtual Machine|
Updated: October 13, 2017