.SCF File Extension
File Type 1Windows Explorer Command
What is an SCF file?
Command used by Windows Explorer; for example, to move up or down a directory or show the Desktop; run via Internet Explorer.
File Type 2DNA Sequence Chromatogram File
.SCF File Association 2
Stores DNA sequence information that can be analyzed using a DNA sequence viewer; similar to a .ABI file, but contains more information and is less prone to errors; may be created by the LF, Li-Cor, Beckman CEQ 2000XL, CEQ 8000, Visible Genetics OpenGene, or other sequencers.
File Type 3SimTown Sounds File
.SCF File Association 3
Contains sounds effects and audio data used by SimTown, a small-scale version of SimCity; used to playback sounds within the game.
NOTE: SimTown may alter the standard SCF file association in Windows and cause the "Show Desktop" and "View Channels" icons in the Task Bar to change. To change the SCF file extension back to the default Windows association, follow these steps (provided by Microsoft):
- Select "Folder Options" from the View menu in an open window and then click the File Types tab.
- Select "SimTown Sounds" within the Registered File Types box and click Edit.
- Type "Windows Explorer Command" in the Description Of Type box and click New.
- Type "Open" in the Action box, and type "c:\progra~1\intern~1\iexplore.exe" in the Application Used To Perform Action box.
- Click the Use DDE check box and type "[ShellFile("%1","%1",%S)]" in the DDE Message box.
- Type "Folders" in the Application box, and "AppProperties" in the Topics box.
- Click OK, then Change Icon, then Browse.
- Choose an icon to replace the missing icon, click OK, and restart your computer.
View the visual guide for changing Windows file associations for more information about how to change file associations in Windows.