Dassault Systemes SolidWorks
|2022(as of 6/14/2022)
|Windows, Mac, Web
- Support for a variety of popular industry formats, such as Autodesk Inventor, IGES, STEP, ProEngineer, and Solid Edge
- Advanced photorealistic rendering
- eDrawings Professional collaboration
- Automated cost estimation
- Interference Check capability for verifying that parts and assemblies will fit, assemble, and operate correctly
Dassault Systemes SolidWorks is a CAD package used to design and model parts and assemblies. The software is available in Standard, Professional, and Premium editions, with each edition providing more advanced features.
The CAD software specializes in the design of sheet metal, piping and tubing, molds, plastic and cast parts, weldments, and electrical cable harnesses and conduits. SolidWorks supports a variety of popular industry formats, such as Autodesk Inventor, IGES, STEP, ProEngineer, and Solid Edge. The software uses proprietary file formats to store each of the 3 different aspects of a design created with the software:
- Part - A 3D representation of a single design component stored in the .SLDPRT file.
- Assembly - A 3D arrangement of parts and other assemblies stored in the .SLDASM file.
- Drawing - A 2D representation of a part or assembly, which is stored in the .SLDDRW file.
SolidWorks gives you a large variety of tools to help you through the engineering design process. The software's 3D solid modeling enables you to create 3D solid models of any part and assembly, make variations of your designs, directly edit your model by clicking and dragging model geometry, and generate surfacing for any 3D geometry. The software also provides advanced photorealistic rendering, automated cost estimation, and eDrawings Professional collaboration capabilities. And before you go into the production of your design, the software's Interference Check tool lets you verify that your parts and assemblies will fit, assemble, and operate correctly.
SolidWorks is a professional tool used by engineers, and with its large array of capabilities, the software matches up favorably with other professional CAD applications, such as IMSI's TurboCAD and Autodesk's Inventor. Dassault Systemes SolidWorks is a great choice for designing your mechanical drawings, parts, and assemblies.
Primary File TypeSolidWorks Part
Supported File Types
|SolidWorks Assembly Template
|SolidWorks eDrawings File
|SolidWorks Part Template
|SolidWorks Drawing Sheet
|SolidWorks Journal File
Additional Related File Types
|3D Manufacturing File
|Adobe Illustrator Artwork
|Pro/ENGINEER Assembly File
|Solid Edge Assembly File
|Drawing Exchange Format File
|eDrawings Assembly File
|HOOPS Stream Format File
|Wavefront 3D Object File
|Solid Edge Part File
|Adobe Photoshop Document
|Solid Edge Sheet Metal File
|ACIS SAT 3D Model
|STEP 3D Model
|STEP 3D CAD File
|Pro/ENGINEER Assembly Instance Accelerator File
|Pro/ENGINEER Part Instance Accelerator File