SolidWorks Assembly Template
3.0 | 1 Vote
What is an ASMDOT file?
Engineers use Dassault Systemes SolidWorks to design industrial parts, including sheet metal, piping and tubing, molds, and plastic and cast parts. They can group these parts into assemblies, which are saved as SLDASM files.
If an engineer knows they'll want to repeatedly reuse the document properties associated with an existing assembly, they can save those properties as an ASMDOT file. They can then select the ASMDOT file during the assembly creation process, to apply the properties the file contains to a new assembly.
How do I create a new SolidWorks assembly template?
To create a new SolidWorks assembly template:
- Select File → New and create a new assembly.
- Modify the assembly's document properties as needed.
- Select File → Save As.
- In the Save as type: field, select Assembly Templates (*.asmdot).
- Name and save your ASMDOT file.
SolidWorks will then save your ASMDOT file in the program's default template folder.
How to open an ASMDOT file
You can open an ASMDOT file in Dassault Systemes SolidWorks (Windows, Mac). To do so:
- Create a new SolidWorks assembly.
- When the New SolidWorks Document window appears, select the Templates tab.
- Select and open your ASMDOT file.