.GPX File Extension
What is a GPX file?
A GPX file is a GPS data file saved in the GPS Exchange format, which is an open standard used by many GPS programs. It contains longitude and latitude location data that may include waypoints, routes, and tracks. GPX files are saved in XML format, which allows GPS data to be more easily imported and read by multiple programs and web services.
GPX files are used to exchange GPS location data, including maps, routes, and geocaching information, with others. Most commonly, fitness devices and applications, such as Garmin Connect devices, use GPX files to import and export running and biking routes. More sophisticated mapping applications, including the desktop versions of Google Earth Pro and the web version of Google Maps, also create and use GPX files.
GPX files store three types of data:
- Waypoint - Includes GPS coordinates of a point. It may also include other descriptive information.
- Route - Includes a list of track points, which are waypoints for turn or stage points, that lead to a destination.
- Track - Includes a list of points that describe a path.
Mapping and fitness applications combine these three sets of data into maps and routes that they show to users.
How to open a GPX file
The easiest way to open a GPX file and view the map data it contains is by uploading it to the web version of Google Maps. After you open and sign in to Google Maps in your web browser, you can add a GPX file as a new map by:
- Opening the Google Maps menu and selecting Your places.
- Selecting Maps → Create map.
- A new Google Maps window opens. In that window, select the Import button that appears underneath the Untitled layer.
- Upload your GPX file. The map data the file contains will appear in Google Maps.
You can also open a GPX file in a variety of desktop and mobile applications, including:
- Google Earth Pro (cross-platform)
- Garmin BaseCamp (Windows, Mac)
- Merkaartor (cross-platform)
- GPX Viewer (Android)
- GPX-Viewer (iOS)
How do I convert a GPX file to a KML or KMZ file?
In some instances, you may need to convert your GPX map file to a .KML or .KMZ map file. For example, if you are using the web version of Google Earth Pro, you must convert your GPX file to a KML or KMZ file before you can upload it to Google Earth.
The easiest way to convert a GPX file to a KML or KMZ file is to upload the GPX file to Google Maps (Web) and then export the resulting map as a KML / KMZ file. You can view instructions for uploading a GPX file to Google Maps above. To export a KML / KMZ file from Google Maps:
- Select the three-dots icon that appears to the right side of your map's title.
- From the menu that appears, select Export to KML/KMZ.
- Specify whether you want to export a complete map or just your GPX file.
- If you want to convert your GPX file to a KMZ file, skip this step. If you want to convert your GPX file to a KML file, select the Export as KML instead of KMZ. checkbox.
- Select Download.
Your new KML or KMZ file will then be saved to your Downloads folder.
Programs that open or reference GPX files
Guitar Pro 6 Document
3.3 | 35 Votes
What is a GPX file?
A GPX file is a musical score document created by Guitar Pro 6 or exported by Guitar Pro 7. It is saved in a proprietary format and contains a musical score and composition for various instruments, including guitar, bass, piano, and drums.
Arobas Music originally developed Guitar Pro as a tablature editor but has added features over the years to make it a comprehensive music sheet editor. Version 6 of Guitar Pro and the Guitar Pro 6 Document (GPX) format debuted in April 2010.
By default, previous versions of Guitar Pro saved documents in other proprietary Guitar Pro formats corresponding to the software version. For example, Guitar Pro 5 saves documents as .GP5 files and Guitar Pro 4 saves documents as .GP4 files. Even though Guitar Pro replaces file types with each new version, the software still supports previous Guitar Pro file types.
To create a GPX file with Guitar Pro 6, select File → New or New from Template, modify the score sheet, then select File → Save or Save As....
You can export GPX files to several different file formats, including .GP5 (Guitar Pro 5), .MIDI, and .WAV. You can also export scores to .PNG, MusicXML, and .PDF formats.
NOTE: GPX files do not contain waveform audio data. Instead, they store instruments and musical notes simulated as music by the Guitar Pro engine in the software.
How to open a GPX file
You can only open a Guitar Pro 6 GPX file with Arobas Music Guitar Pro (multiplatform).