File TypeWeb Video Text Tracks File
What is a VTT file?
A VTT file is a text file saved in the Web Video Text Tracks (WebVTT) format. It contains supplementary information about a web video, including subtitles, captions, descriptions, chapters, and metadata. VTT files do not contain any video data.
VTT file open in Atom
Most online video hosting services, such as YouTube and Vimeo, allow users to caption or subtitle their videos using VTT files, as do media players like VideoLAN VLC Media Player. Additionally, the WebVTT format is designed to provide:
- Chapters for content navigation
- Text video descriptions
- Other metadata aligned with audio or video content
NOTE: WebVTT replaced the Web Subtitle Resource Tracks (WebSRT) format in 2010.
How do I open a VTT file?
You can open and edit a VTT file using any text editor, such as Notepad (Windows), TextEdit (Mac), or Atom. You can also view a VTT file's contents by dragging the file into any web browser.
If you'd like to use a VTT file as a subtitle track in VideoLAN VLC Media Player:
- Begin playing the video you want to use your VTT file with.
- From the VLC Media Player menu bar, select
- Navigate to the folder containing your VTT file, select the file, and then select
FREE DOWNLOAD Open over 300 file formats with File Viewer Plus.
Programs that open VTT files