Microsoft Project Template
3.3 | 11 Votes
What is an MPT file?
Microsoft introduced Project in 1984 and has since released subsequent versions. The software allows you to manage projects by developing schedules, tracking progress, assigning tasks, and analyzing budgets.
How to create an MPT template with Microsoft Project
To save a project as a template in Microsoft Project, follow these steps:
- With the project already open, click File → Export.
- Click Save Project as File, then choose Project Template.
- Name the template and click Save.
To create a project from a template in Microsoft Project, follow these steps:
- Click File → New.
- Choose the template you want to use by searching your templates or online templates.
- Click Create in the preview dialog box of the template you selected.
How to open an MPT file
You can open and edit an MPT template with Microsoft Project in Windows. You can also open an MPT file with third-party applications, such as MOOS Project Viewer and MPXJ.
How to convert an MPT file
Various applications, including Microsoft Project and MPXJ, can convert MPT files to other formats.
For example, Microsoft Project can convert MPT files to many file types, including the following formats when you select File → Save As: