Microsoft Project File
3.5 | 155 Votes
What is an MPP file?
An MPP file is a project created by Microsoft Project, a program for organizing, tracking, and maintaining projects. It contains a timeline, a list of tasks, budgets, resources assigned to tasks, and other project information. MPP files are often utilized to store workloads, schedules, and finances.
Microsoft released Project in 1984 to manage projects, develop schedules, set budgets, and allocate resources. The MPP format is the native file type associated with Microsoft Project and stores project information when saving a project.
Since 1984, Microsoft has released different versions of Project and the MPP format. You can view the following list to check the versions of MPP files supported by different versions of Project:
- MS Project 98 can open Project 4.x and Project 98 files.
- MS Project 2000 can open Project 98 and Project 2000 files.
- MS Project 2002 can open Project 98, Project 2000, and Project 2002 files.
- MS Project 2003 can open Project 98, 2000, 2002, and 2003 files.
- MS Project 2007 can open Project 98, 2000-2003, and 2007 files.
- MS Project 2010 can open Project 98, 2000-2003, 2007, and 2010 files.
- MS Project 2013 can open Project 2000-2003, 2007, 2010, and 2013 files.
- MS Project 2016 can open Project 2000-2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016 files.
- MS Project 2019 can open Project 2000-2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, and 2019 files.
How to open an MPP file
You can open and edit an MPP file with Microsoft Project in Windows. To open an MPP file with Project, select File → Open.
You can also open an MPP file with third-party applications, such as MOOS Project Viewer (multiplatform), OpenProj (multiplatform), and Steelray Project Viewer (multiplatform).
Housatonic Project Viewer 365 is another application that supports MPP files. It is available for Android, iOS, and as a web application.
How to convert an MPP file
Several applications, including Microsoft Project and OpenProj, can convert MPP files to other formats.
For example, Microsoft Project can convert MPP files to many file types, including the following formats when you select File → Save As:
Programs that open MPP files
MobileFrame Project Publisher File
3.4 | 16 Votes
An MPP file may also be a project file created by MobileFrame Desktop, a mobile app development and administration tool. It contains one or more MobileFrame projects and their dependencies. MobileFrame Desktop uses the MPP format to save all project data in a single archive.
Developers and system administrators use MobileFrame Desktop to develop and deploy mobile applications. Each application project is saved as an MPP file, which is an archive file that contains all the project's development, deployment, and management data.
Examples of data an MPP file contains include:
- The actual app development project
- Mobile device management data
- Project administration data
- GPS tracking data
- Business system integration data
How to open an MPP file
You can open an MPP file with MobileFrame Desktop (Windows).