Blizzard Mo'PaQ File
4.1 | 95 Votes
What is an MPQ file?
An MPQ file is a game data archive used by Blizzard Entertainment video games, such as Diablo and World of Warcraft. It contains level data, graphics, videos, and sounds for a specific Blizzard game in the Mo'PaQ (MPQ) format. MPQ files may be compressed, encrypted, or segmented into multiple files.
Mike O'Brien developed the Mo'PaQ (short for Mike O'Brien Pack) archive format for use in Blizzard Entertainment games. Some examples of Blizzard video games that use the format include:
- Diablo II + Lord of Destruction expansion pack
- StarCraft + Brood War expansion pack
- StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
- Warcraft II: Battle.net edition
- Warcraft III + Frozen Throne expansion pack
- World of Warcraft + expansion packs (Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, etc.)
MPQ archives may store various types of files:
How to open an MPQ file
MPQ files are not meant to be opened. Instead, the Blizzard Entertainment-developed game it is packaged with references the data in the file and loads it.
If you want to view and modify the data in an MPQ file, you may use one of several utilities, including MPQ Editor and StormLib Library. Please note that modifying MPQ files is not supported by Blizzard Entertainment and may corrupt the files.