(as of 4/21/2021)
(visit publisher's website)
- Word processing, spreadsheet, and database tools
- Built-in dictionary and calendar
- Work Task Launcher for easy task selection
- Manages contacts, to-do lists, and personal schedules
- Compatible with Microsoft Office file formats
Microsoft Works is a productivity suite designed for home users that was eventually replaced by Microsoft Office. Microsoft discontinued Works in 2009.
Works includes the following applications:
- Works Word Processor: Used for creating documents, brochures, resumes, letters, cards, and other stationery; includes several pre-built templates, a dictionary, and a thesaurus.
- Works Spreadsheet: Allows users to record and analyze personal data such as finances and home inventories.
- Works Database: Used for storing structured information, such as personal contacts.
- Works Calendar: Allows users to manage personal schedules and to-do lists; can combine several calendars into a single file.
Microsoft Works was a popular productivity suite for home users in the 1980s and 1990s. It came with useful applications to keep track of your finances, manage your schedule, and create documents. If you are looking for some of that same functionality, you can try Microsoft Office or the open-source Apache OpenOffice suite.
Supported File Types
Primary file extension
Other file extensions used by Microsoft Works 9
|Supported File Types|
|.CSV||Comma-Separated Values File|
|.DOC||Microsoft Word Document (Legacy)|
|.DOCM||Microsoft Word Macro-enabled Document|
|.DOCX||Microsoft Word Document|
|.DOT||Microsoft Word Document Template (Legacy)|
|.RTF||Rich Text Format File|
|.TSV||Tab-Separated Values File|
|.VCS||vCalendar Event File|
|.WDB||Microsoft Works Database|
|.WPS||Microsoft Works Word Processor Document|
|.XLS||Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet (Legacy)|
|.XLSB||Microsoft Excel Binary Spreadsheet|
|.XLSX||Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet|
|Additional Related File Formats|
|.BCM||Microsoft Works Communications Script Backup|
|.BDB||Microsoft Works Database Backup File|
|.BKS||Microsoft Works Spreadsheet Backup File|
|.BPS||Works Document Backup|
|.CAG||ClipArt Gallery Package|
|.HTM||Hypertext Markup Language File|
|.HTML||Hypertext Markup Language File|
|.HTX||HTML Extension File|
|.PWI||Pocket Word Document|
|.STF||Microsoft Setup Table File|
|.TXT||Plain Text File|
|.WCD||Works Calendar File|
|.WCM||Microsoft Works Communications Script|
|.WRI||Microsoft Write Document|
|.WWD||Works Wizard File|
Updated: April 21, 2021