(as of 6/4/2015)
(visit publisher's website)
- Word processing, spreadsheet, and database tools
- Built-in dictionary and calendar
- Work Task Launcher for easy task selection
- Manages contacts, to-do lists, and personal schedules
- Compatible with Microsoft Office file formats
Microsoft Works is a productivity suite designed for home users. It is often viewed as a trimmed-down version of Microsoft Office since it is primarily used in home environments for personal and household tasks. Works is no longer developed.
Works includes the following applications:
- Works Word Processor: Used for creating documents, brochures, resumes, letters, cards, and other stationery; includes several pre-built templates, a dictionary, and a thesaurus.
- Works Spreadsheet: Allows users to record and analyze personal data such as finances and home inventories.
- Works Database: Used for storing structured information, such as personal contacts.
- Works Calendar: Allows users to manage personal schedules and to-do lists; can combine several calendars into a single file.
Microsoft Works is a great alternative to the Office Suite for home users. It has many useful applications to keep track of your finances, manage your schedule, and create documents. If you are looking for some of the functionality of Microsoft Office but don't need all of the extra tools that it comes with, Works is a great option for you.
Supported File Types
Primary file extension
Other file extensions used by Microsoft Works 9
|Supported File Types|
|.CSV||Comma Separated Values File|
|.DOC||Microsoft Word Document|
|.DOCM||Word Open XML Macro-Enabled Document|
|.DOCX||Microsoft Word Open XML Document|
|.DOT||Word Document Template|
|.RTF||Rich Text Format File|
|.TSV||Tab Separated Values File|
|.VCS||vCalendar Event File|
|.WDB||Microsoft Works Database|
|.WPS||Microsoft Works Word Processor Document|
|.XLSB||Excel Binary Spreadsheet|
|.XLSX||Microsoft Excel Open XML Spreadsheet|
|Additional Related File Formats|
|.BCM||Microsoft Works Communications Script Backup|
|.BDB||Microsoft Works Database Backup File|
|.BKS||Microsoft Works Spreadsheet Backup File|
|.BPS||Works Document Backup|
|.CAG||ClipArt Gallery Package|
|.HTM||Hypertext Markup Language File|
|.HTML||Hypertext Markup Language File|
|.HTX||HTML Extension File|
|.PWI||Pocket Word Document|
|.STF||Microsoft Setup Table File|
|.TXT||Plain Text File|
|.WCD||Works Calendar File|
|.WCM||Microsoft Works Communications Script|
|.WRI||Microsoft Write Document|
|.WWD||Works Wizard File|
Updated: June 4, 2015