.WXS File Extension
WiX Source File
3.3 | 24 Votes
What is a WXS file?
Source file created by Windows Installer XML (WiX) toolset, a Windows installer developing program; XML document containing one root element (<Wix>); a collection of strings for localizing a product into a specific culture; similar to .CPP files.
WXS files must be written in WiX schema or else they will not compile. The <Wix> element is a top-level container in the WXS file, it can include the following children:
- PatchCreation - Compiles into a .PCP file.
- One of the following elements:
- Bundle - Creates bundle packages.
- Module - Compiles into a .MSM file.
- Patch - Compiles into a .MSP file.
- Product - Compiles into a .MSI file.
- Fragment - Helps build an installer database in WiX.
There can only be one <PatchCreation>, <Product>, <Module>, or <Patch> section element for each WXS file or else the linking process will be broken. There can be an unlimited amount of Fragments.
NOTE: WiX Source files are preprocessed and compiled into .WIXOBJ files by the Candle tool in the WiX Toolset.