.REG File Extension
2 file types use the .reg file extension.
4.4 | 99 Votes
What is a REG file?
A REG file updates the Windows Registry when run. Custom REG files can be created to alter different aspects of Windows.
To create your own registry update file, follow these steps:
- Launch Regedit (From the start menu, select Run, type "Regedit")
- Select the section of the registry you are interested in modifying
- From the File menu, select Export
- Choose "Selected Branch" from the Export Range option at the bottom of the window.
- Save the file as a ".reg" file.
NOTE: Manually updating the Windows registry is an advanced process and should only be performed if you know exactly what you are doing. Incorrect registry updates may render Windows inoperable.
Programs that open REG files
Registration Information File
3.3 | 25 Votes
Stores registration key, serial number, and other user registration information for a certain program; created when registration is completed; referenced by the program when opened to authenticate the user, but not meant to be opened manually.
Programs that open or reference REG files