.REG File Extension
File Type 1Registry File
What is a REG file?
Updates the Windows Registry when run; custom REG files can be created to alter different aspects of Windows; to create your own registry update file, follow these steps:
- Launch Regedit (From the start menu, select Run, type "Regedit")
- Select the section of the registry you are interested in modifying
- From the File menu, select Export
- Choose "Selected Branch" from the Export Range option at the bottom of the window.
- Save the file as a ".reg" file.
File Type 2Registration Information File
.REG File Association 2
Stores registration key, serial number, and other user registration information for a certain program; created when registration is completed; referenced by the program when opened to authenticate the user, but not meant to be opened manually.