.IDML File Extension
File TypeAdobe InDesign Markup Language File
What is an IDML file?
An IDML file is a document created by InDesign, a program used to create professional page layouts. It contains several XML files, which represent a complete InDesign document. IDML files are stored as a compressed package using Zip compression.
IDML packages contain a hierarchy of XML files and directories. The root directory of the archive contains a designmap.xml file, which specifies high-level document properties, as well as the document layout. The archive also contains the following folders, which are used to store parts of the document:
- Resources: Contains document elements, such as colors, fonts, and paragraph styles; includes Graphics.xml, Fonts.xml, Styles.xml, and Preferences.xml.
- Spreads: Stores document spreads.
- Stories: Contains all document stories.
- XML: Stores document elements and settings; includes BackingStory.xml, Tags.xml, and Mapping.xml.
- MasterSpreads: Contains MaterSpreads.xml, which specifies all master spreads displayed on document pages, such as rectangles, ellipses, groups, polygons, buttons, and text frames.
- META-INF: Stores the standard container.xml file for UCF packages.
NOTE: The InDesign Markup Language was introduced with InDesign CS4. InDesign still supports backward compatibility with INX files.