.HTACCESS File Extension
File TypeApache HTACCESS File
What is an HTACCESS file?
Configuration file used by an Apache Web server that provides instructions for different directories of a website; "htaccess" is short for HTTP access, which is the protocol used for transmitting Web pages.
The .htaccess file can used to perform several important functions such as:
- Define the index page of a directory (i.e. "index.html" or "index.php")
- Specify the 404 (Page not found) error page
- Perform 301 or 302 page redirects
- Deny access from specific IP address or other websites
- Restrict access to certain directories and pages
- Execute MOD_REWRITE instructions
The Apache .htaccess Tutorial includes additional information about how and when to use .htaccess files.