.DRWDOT File Extension
SolidWorks Drawing Template
3.2 | 5 Votes
What is a DRWDOT file?
A DRWDOT file is a drawing template created by Dassault Systemes SolidWorks. It contains drawing document properties, which can be applied when an engineer creates a new SolidWorks drawing (.SLDDRW file).
Dassault Systemes SolidWorks is a professional CAD program that engineers use to create 3D models of industrial parts. Engineers can also use SolidWorks to create 2D vector drawings of a part or assembly. Those drawings are saved as DRWDOT files.
If an engineer knows they'll want to reuse the document properties associated with an existing SolidWorks drawing, they can save those properties as a DRWDOT template. Then, they can select the DRWDOT file and apply the template's properties when creating new drawings.
How to create a SolidWorks drawing template
To create a SolidWorks drawing template:
- Select File → New... and create a new drawing.
- Modify the drawing's document properties as needed.
- Select File → Save As....
- In the Save as type: field, select Drawing Templates (*.drwdot).
- Name and save your DRWDOT file.
SolidWorks will then save your DRWDOT file in the program's default template folder.
How to open a DRWDOT file
You can open a DRWDOT file in Dassault Systemes SolidWorks (multiplatform). To do so:
- Make sure your DRWDOT file is saved in SolidWorks' templates directory.
- In SolidWorks, select File → New....
- When the New SolidWorks Document window appears, select Advanced. Then, select the Templates tab.
- Select and open your DRWDOT file.