Pixlr Zipped Layered Image
3.1 | 12 Votes
What is a PXZ file?
Pixlr is a primarily web-based suite of image editing applications that graphic designers and photographers use to create and edit images. Pixlr is similar to Adobe Photoshop, except that Pixlr's web version functions entirely within a user's web browser.
If a user wants to save an in-progress Pixlr project to their PC or mobile device, they can save the project as a PXZ file. Saving the project as a PXZ file preserves the layer-based edits the user has made to the image, such as adding text, adjustments, filters, masks, and additional images. This allows the user to continue editing those layers in the future. In contrast, saving a Pixlr project as a .JPG, .PNG., or .WEBP file flattens the image to a single layer.
Each PXZ file is a Zip archive that includes all the files Pixlr uses to load and show layer-based images to users. PXZ files typically contain:
- .WEBP copies of every image the project contains, as well as a WEBP preview and thumbnail of the project as a whole
- A .JSON file that describes the project's name, type, size, and layers
- .WOFF files that specify what font(s) the project uses
- .SVG files that describe shapes added to the project
Until early 2021, Pixlr saved layer-based images as PXD files. While Pixlr users can still load PXD files in Pixlr, Pixlr now saves all layer-based images in the PXZ format.
NOTE: Autodesk acquired Pixlr in 2011, then Inmagine acquired Pixlr from Autodesk in 2017.
How to open a PXZ file
On desktop computers, PXZ files are meant to be opened in Pixlr X or Pixlr E (Web, Windows, Mac). To open a PXZ file in the web version of Pixlr X or Pixlr E:
- In your web browser, navigate to https://pixlr.com and select either Pixlr X or Pixlr E from the website's menu bar. Novice image editors should select Pixlr X, while expert editors should select Pixlr E.
- Select Open Image.
- Navigate to and open your PXZ file.
On mobile devices, PXZ files are meant to be opened in Pixlr M (Web).
If you do not want to open your PXZ file in Pixlr but do want to view the files your PXZ file contains, you can decompress it using any Zip decompression tool. Corel WinZip (Windows), Apple Archive Utility (Mac), and B1 Free Archiver are a few good options for decompressing your PXZ file and extracting the WEBP images and other files it contains.