Kerbal Space Program Mesh File
4.2 | 50 Votes
What is a MU file?
An MU file contains a 3D image used by Kerbal Space Program (KSP), a game where players build an alien space program. It stores data in a proprietary KSP model format for objects that appear in the game, which are typically space shuttles.
Kerbal Space Program was released in 2015 for Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms. The gameplay revolves around developing a space program for aliens called "Kerbals," and includes designing and flying spacecraft.
KSP utilizes MU files to store 3D models for space shuttles. The MU files are accompanied by part.cfg files, which reference the MU files as a mesh. There are also .MBM files referenced by the MU file that contain the textures for the model.
NOTE: KSP models are typically built with Unity modeling software.
Common MU Filenames
model.mu - The 3D model mesh file used by Kerbal Space Program.
How to open a MU file
You can open MU files with Squad Kerbal Space Program, which is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Copy the entire "io_object_mu" addon folder from GitHub to the Blender scripts/addons folder
- Select [m]Edit → Preferences... → Add-ons in Blender
- Choose "Import-Export: Mu model format (KSP)"
- Check the checkbox next to the option, configure the settings for the addon, and click "Save User Settings"
- Select File → Import → KSP Mu and choose the MU file you want to open.