.ICMA File Extension
File TypeInCopy Assignment File
What is an ICMA file?
An ICMA file is an assignment file used by InCopy, a word processor that integrates with Adobe InDesign. It contains links to a subset of an InDesign parent document (.INDD file), as well as editing permissions for a specific user. ICMA files are used to assign a portion of a document to an editor.
ICMA files are created using InDesign and then assigned to a specific editor, who has permission to edit the content using InCopy. Once finished, the editor notifies the sender. This assignment-based workflow has several benefits:
- Separating the page layout workflow from the content development workflow.
- Splitting editing tasks between multiple editors.
- Preventing unwanted access to protected page content, such as the master layout.
- Reducing the file and project size sent to editors.
- Enabling a check-in/check-out system so that only one editor can access designated page content at a time.
- Tracking the workers that have modified the document.
NOTE: ICMA files replaced .INCA files in InDesign and InCopy CS4 and later.