After Effects XML Project Template
3.1 | 7 Votes
What is a AETX file?
An AETX file is a project template created by After Effects, a Windows and macOS special effects creation application. It contains one or more compositions that may include multiple layers comprising imported media, shapes, and settings. AETX files are similar to .AET files, but utilized by After Effects users to store templates in the XML standard instead of binary format to make multiple .AEP or .AEPX video projects.
Adobe After Effects is a professional motion graphics application for enhancing video projects. The software provides various tools to add special effects and comes with hundreds of presets and templates to help you save time. After Effects allows you to save templates in two different formats:
- After Effects Template (AET) - The primary After Effects template format. It is saved in a binary format that results in smaller AET file sizes that load quickly.
- After Effects XML Template (AETX) - The alternate project format that is saved in a text-based format in the XML standard. It is larger and slower to load than AET files, but you can modify its project details with an XML or text editor.
How to open a AETX file
You can only open an AETX file with Adobe After Effects (Windows and macOS). To open an AETX file, select File → Open Project....
Since AETX files are text-based, you can also open and edit details in the files with an XML or text editor. However, an XML or text editor will not display the AETX file the same as After Effects.
How to convert a AETX file
Adobe After Effects can convert AETX files to various file types, including the following formats:
- .MOV - Apple QuickTime Movie
- .AVI - Audio Video Interleave
- .JPG - JPEG Image
- .PNG - Portable Network Graphic
- .DPX - Digital Picture Exchange
- .EXR - OpenEXR Image
- .M4A - MPEG-4 Audio
- .MP3 - MP3 Audio
- .WAV - WAVE Audio
- .AEPX - After Effects XML Project
- .AEP - After Effects Project
- .AET - After Effects Project Template
- .PRPROJ - Adobe Premiere Pro