.AEPX File Extension
After Effects XML Project
3.7 | 18 Votes
What is a AEPX file?
An AEPX file is a video project created by Adobe After Effects, a video-editing application used to create special effects. It contains a video composition, including references to video assets, motion graphics settings, and visual effects in the XML standard. AEPX files are an alternative project format to the more common .AEP binary format.
After Effects is available for Windows and macOS and is used to create visual effects and motion graphics, typically in post-production for TV shows and films. The software allows you to save a video project as a local file on your computer or as a team collaboration project. There are two local project formats:
- After Effects Project (AEP) - The primary format Adobe recommends for saving After Effects projects. It is a binary format that results in smaller, quick-loading files.
- After Effects XML Project (AEPX) - The alternate project format Adobe recommends for After Effects users looking to save a copy of their project or as an intermediate project for automation workflows. It is a text-based format saved in the XML standard that is larger and slower to load than the AEP format but allows you to modify project details with an XML or text editor.
How to create and save AEPX projects
To create an AEPX project, select File → New → New Project, then click File → Save or Save As → Save A Copy As XML.... After saving an AEPX project, you can close it, re-open it, then continue to edit it.
How to open a AEPX file
You can only open AEPX files with Adobe After Effects (Windows and macOS). To open an AEPX file, select File → Open Project....
Since AEPX files are text-based, you can also open and edit details in the files with an XML or text editor. However, you may need to change the .aepx file extension to .txt to open the file.
How to convert a AEPX file
Only Adobe After Effects can convert AEPX files. Possible formats you can convert AEPX files to include:
- .MOV - Apple QuickTime Movie
- .AVI - Audio Video Interleave
- .AIF, .AIFF - Audio Interchange File Format
- .M4A - MPEG-4 Audio
- .AAC - Advanced Audio Coding File
- .MP3 - MP3 Audio
- .WAV - WAVE Audio
- .JPG, .JPEG - JPEG Image
- .PNG - Portable Network Graphic
- .DPX - Digital Picture Exchange
- .EXR - OpenEXR Image
- .TARGA, .TGA - Targa Graphic
- .TIFF, .TIF - Tagged Image File Format
- .AEP - After Effects Project
- .AET - After Effects Template
- .AETX - After Effects XML Template
- .PRPROJ - Adobe Premiere Pro