.AET File Extension
After Effects Project Template
3.2 | 6 Votes
What is a AET file?
An AET file is a project template created by After Effects, a special effects creation application. It contains one or more compositions consisting of layers that may include imported media, shapes, and text and project settings. AET files are similar to .AEP files but utilized by After Effects users to store templates to make multiple .AEP or .AEPX video projects.
After Effects allows you to save templates in two different formats:
- After Effects Template (AET) - The primary After Effects template format. It is saved in a binary format that results in smaller AET file sizes that load quickly.
- After Effects XML Template (.AETX) - The alternate project format that is saved in a text-based format in the XML standard. It is larger and slower to load than AET files, but you can modify its project details with an XML or text editor.
To create an After Effects project template, select File → New → New Project, then click File → Save or Save As → Save As... and choose "Adobe After Effects Template Project" from the "File Format" dropdown menu.
How to open a AET file
You can only open AET files with Adobe After Effects (Windows and macOS). To open an AET file, select File → Open Project....
How to convert a AET file
Adobe After Effects can convert AET files to various file types, including the following formats:
- .MOV - Apple QuickTime Movie
- .AVI - Audio Video Interleave
- .JPG - JPEG Image
- .PNG - Portable Network Graphic
- .DPX - Digital Picture Exchange
- .EXR - OpenEXR Image
- .M4A - MPEG-4 Audio
- .MP3 - MP3 Audio
- .WAV - WAVE Audio
- .AEPX - After Effects XML Project
- .AEP - After Effects Project
- .PRPROJ - Adobe Premiere Pro