How to view file properties in Windows 11
Published March 31, 2023
To view file properties in Windows 11:
- Right-click your file. (Or select the file and press + to skip the next step.)
- Click Properties.
- The Properties window appears.
The Properties window contains four tabs:
- General: Displays common file information, such as file type, location, and size, and allows you to set the file as read-only or hidden
- Security: Allows you to edit group and user-level file permissions
- Details: Shows detailed file metadata, which may differ based on the file type
- Previous Versions: Allows you to open or restore previous versions of the file, if any exist
Click each tab at the top of the Properties window to view the information and options.