How to open an unknown file in Windows 10
Published March 1, 2019
Method 1: Choose a program already installed on your computer
- Double-click the unknown file and select the program you want to open the file from the dialog box.
- Check the checkbox if you want the selected program to always open the file type.
- Click "OK."
Method 2: Choose a program from the Microsoft Store
- Double-click the unknown file.
- Select "Look for an app in the Store" in the dialog box and click "OK."
- Click the icon of the program from the app results in the Microsoft Store that best fits your needs.
- Click "Get" or "Buy" on the program page to acquire, download, and install the app from the Microsoft Store.
- Once the program is downloaded and installed, double-click the unknown file to open it in the recently downloaded program.