.DESKTHEMEPACK File Extension
Windows 8 Desktop Theme Pack File
4.2 | 624 Votes
What is a DESKTHEMEPACK file?
A DESKTHEMEPACK file is a desktop theme file introduced with the Windows 8 operating system. It is saved in the .CAB format and contains background images (.JPG files) as well as a .THEME file, which contains colors, sounds, and other settings used to customize the Windows desktop. DESKTHEMEPACK files can be downloaded and shared with other Windows users.
You can install a DESKTHEMEPACK file in Windows 8 by double-clicking it. You may also create a custom theme by right-clicking one of "My Themes" in the Windows Personalization Control Panel and selecting "Save theme for sharing."
DESKTHEMEPACK files are specific to Windows 8 and are not compatible with Windows 7, which uses .THEMEPACK files for desktop themes. However, you can use the images contained in a DESKTHEMEPACK file as your desktop background in Windows 7 by following these steps:
- Change the ".deskthemepack" file extension to ".cab."
- Double-click the ".cab" file to view its contents.
- Copy the ".jpg" files from the folder to another location on your computer.
- Open the Personalization window by right-clicking the Windows desktop and selecting "Personalize" from the drop-down menu.
- In the Personalization window, choose the "Desktop Background" link.
- Under "Choose your desktop background," click the Browse... button and select the folder where you saved the ".jpg" image files.
- Click the Save changes button and the images will be applied to your desktop.
NOTE: With the release of Windows 8, Microsoft updated the online Personalization Gallery to provide DESKTHEMEPACK files in addition to THEMEPACK files. You can view this gallery by clicking "Get more themes online" from the Personalization window in both Windows 7 and Windows 8.