.TER File Extension
Terragen Terrain File
2.9 | 8 Votes
What is a TER file?
Terrain file created by Terragen, a natural scenery generation program; contains terrain data referenced by Terragen to determine altitude of the terrain; includes integer values along y, z, and x-axes specifying the length, height, depth, etc. in Terragen's heightfield format for easy terrain transfer.
The TER file consists of 2 8-byte identifying strings and "chunks" of data. The structure will look similar to the following:
- 8-byte "TERRAGEN" string identifying the program.
- 8-byte "TERRAIN" string identifying the terrain.
- "SIZE" chunk that appears before altitude data identifying the size of the terrain.
- "XPTS" and "YPTS" chunks are required if the terrain is not square.
- "EOF" string at the end of the file if it's an older version Terragen.
To import a TER file, select the Terrain tab, click Add Terrain, select Heightfield (load file), navigate to the TER file, and click Open.
Programs that open or reference TER files