.FOUNTAIN File Extension
What is a FOUNTAIN file?
A FOUNTAIN file is a movie script created by screenwriting applications, such as Storyist. It contains screenplay text formatted using simple Fountain-specific syntax. The document is saved as UTF-8 plain text and can be opened by any text editor.
Some basic syntax guidelines for a FOUNTAIN file include:
- Character names are in upper case.
- Dialogue follows immediately after Character on the next line.
- Scene headings begin with INT, IEXT, EST, INT./EXT, INT/EXT, and I/E followed by a period or space.
- Transitions end in "T0:".
- Parentheticals are contained in parentheses.
To create a FOUNTAIN file in Storyist:
- Select File → Export... and choose the items you want to export.
- Select "Fountain Script (.fountain)" from the Format drop down menu, click Next....
- Select any export options you want, click Next....
- Name the file, choose the save location, and click Export.
To import a FOUNTAIN file in Storyist, select File → Import..., navigate to your file, and click Import.... Then, choose your import options in the Import Assistant, select "Next", and click Import.
How to open a FOUNTAIN file
FOUNTAIN files are saved in a plain text format and can be opened with any text editor. However, to view the screenplay formatting, you will need to open the file in an application that supports Fountain syntax, such as Storyist or Trelby.