A LANG file is a game resource file used by Minecraft, an open-ended game that allows players to create and explore 3D worlds. It saves a list of key-value string pairs that map game menus, achievements, and other game objects to names in a given language; used for localization.
Minecraft LANG files are located within the minecraft.jar archive, which is located in the following directory:
LANG files are stored in a plain text format, so you can edit them with a text editor. However, doing so can potentially cause Minecraft not to run properly, so you should backup minecraft.jar before proceeding. To edit LANG files, follow these steps:
- Explore minecraft.jar with 7-Zip or another tool that can explore JAR files.
- Navigate to the \lang\ folder.
- Extract en_US.lang and save it to a location on your computer.
- Edit the LANG file with a text editor such as Notepad.
- Place the edited LANG file back in the minecraft.jaf archive, overwriting the previous one.
- Delete the \META-INF\ folder within the root directory of minecraft.jar.
- Restart Minecraft.