.INCA File Extension
File TypeInCopy CS3 Assignment File
This file is saved in a binary format, which requires a specific program to read its contents.
What is an INCA file?
File used by InCopy, a word processor that integrates with the Adobe InDesign page layout program; contains page element previews from a subset of an InDesign document (.INDD file), as well as access permissions for modifying associated .INCX linked content files; used to divide the work necessary for editing a publication.
Assignment files are created using InDesign and then assigned to a specific editor, who has permission to edit page content using InCopy. Once the page is complete, the editor notifies the sender. This process is useful in several ways:
- Dividing up editing tasks between multiple editors.
- Preventing unwanted changes to protected portions of InDesign documents, such as the master layout.
- Reducing the file and project size sent to editors.
- Using a check-in/check-out system so that only one worker has access to the page content at a time.
- Tracking which editors have modified what portions of a document.
NOTE: INCA files have been replaced by .ICMA files in InDesign and InCopy CS4 and later.